Sunday, January 17, 2010

Sunday Comfort Food




I wish I knew my Italian grandmother. I do not because I was adopted. Don't get me wrong, I had two wonderful grandmothers growing up, and my parents that adopted me - wouldn't change them for anything - but I knew my birth-mother was Italian so sometimes I do wish I had all those great family recipes.
That being said, I know it's in my blood, there's no doubt about that. When I look through Julia Child's books, I get very nervous. Those techniques do not come naturally to me. But I can taste andy dish in an Italian resurant, and go home and duplicate it - maybe even make it better. So, today I made my oldest son's favorite meal : Beef Braciole


This recipe is adapted from Alton Brown's Braciole recipe.



1 flank steak (1 1/2 lbs) pounded flat as you can
Prosciutto
Fontina cheese
3 c Tomato Sauce (recipe will be first)
1 1/2 cups of croutons or bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic
1/2 c fresh parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 eggs
1/2 c parmesan

First, the tomato sauce
Of the many site I have visited, and sauces I have tried - this is the best, and I will give him the full credit, as it is that good: 





This is a great site! All his recipes I have tried are delicious & so are his pictures and attention to details!


OK, now for the Braciole


Pound out the meat as thin as you can - until you can't pound anymore - or as in my case today, until the men watching football told me I was too noisy!


Salt generously with salt & pepper, and grab your prosciutto and fontina




and cover the surface of the meat with them



Then roll it up as tight as you can!




Tie it up with cooking twine





Here's a tutorial if you need it - it takes some practice






Then, heat up a skillet with some olive oil and sear meat on all sides


Then put three cups of sauce in a baking dish, add the meat, and cover with foil. Put in a 325 degree oven for at least 1 1/2 hrs or up to 3 hrs. serve with pasta and enjoy!






And add a glass of chianti of course!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment